How to Change Your Personal Tax Return

It’s not uncommon for people to make a mistake on their personal…

How to Change Your Personal Tax Return

It’s not uncommon for people to make a mistake on their personal tax return. Perhaps you missed including a tax slip on your return or, to your advantage, you missed claiming expenses and credits. Not to worry. It can be fixed – and you can go back up to 10 years!

Before you change your return, wait until you receive your Notice of Assessment. After that, choose one of the following three options:

1. Online – Register, if you’re not already registered, and log onto CRA’s ‘My Account’. Click ‘Change my return’. You can ask for changes to your current year return and/or returns for the previous 9 years.
2. Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request – Complete this form which provides CRA with the details of the changes. Send the form by mail to your CRA tax centre.
3. Signed letter – Write a letter giving the details of your request (including the years of the returns to be changed), your social insurance number, your address, and a telephone number where CRA can call you during the day.

If you send Form T1-ADJ or a signed letter then you must also provide all supporting documents for the change. Don’t forget to do this – if you do, CRA will more likely than not deny your request until additional information is provided.

The length of time it takes the change request to be processed depends on the particulars in your situation and the time of the year. CRA says that if you file online, the change will generally occur within two weeks and f by mail, it’s usually processed within eight weeks. If your request is sent in late summer or fall then it will probably take a little bit longer than other times of the year.

Once CRA processes your request, you will receive a Notice of Reassessment showing the changes to your return. Alternatively, you may receive a letter explaining why a change was not permitted or why a change was not required.

Are you considering changing your personal tax return? If so, then it’s in your best interest that you seek the advice of a qualified professional to ensure it’s done properly.


The information in this publication is current as of the time it was written. This publication has been carefully prepared, but it has been written in general terms and should be seen as broad guidance only. The publication cannot be relied upon to cover specific situations and you should not act, or refrain from acting, upon the information contained therein without obtaining specific professional advice. Please contact Deuzeman & Associates to discuss these matters in the context of your particular circumstances. Deuzeman & Associates does not accept or assume any liability or duty of care for any loss arising from any action taken or not taken by anyone in reliance on the information in this publication or for any decision based on it.

Latest Posts