Last week, the Government announced several extensions and changes to several COVID-19 benefit programs, including:
- Extending eligibility for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS), the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS) and Lockdown Support (LS) until October 23, 2021;
- Increasing the rate of support for CEWS, CERS and LS during the period between August 29 and September 25, 2021; and
- No changes to the Canada Recovery Hiring Program (CRHP) were announced.
Increase in CEWS & CERS Rates
- The maximum wage and rent subsidies rate will be set at 40% in Period 20 (August 29 to September 25) instead of being reduced to 20%, as announced in Budget 2021.
- The programs will also be extended by one additional period, with a maximum rate of 20% in Period 21 (September 26 to October 23).
- The Lockdown Support will also be extended until October 23, 2021, at its set rate of 25%.
A related Backgrounder provided further details on the CEWS and CERS extensions, including a relieving provision related to the calculation of revenue declines for businesses that commenced after March 1, 2019.
Should you have any questions or feedback, please reach out to myself or the team. As always, we are here to help and support you.